Last modified: September 1, 2016
A. INFORMATION YOU CHOOSE TO PROVIDE
If you register using Facebook or Twitter (only on ripplenews.com and Ripple News apps), you are allowing us access to your Facebook or Twitter account. By allowing us to access your Facebook or Twitter account, you understand that we will obtain and may share certain of your information including your public profile, name, and profile picture. We only obtain information from your Facebook or Twitter account that you specifically authorize and grant us permission to obtain. If we ever add to the list of Facebook or Twitter authorizations you will be required to give your permission again.
Whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information on publicly viewable screens or pages, that information will be publicly available and can be collected and used by others. We cannot control who reads your posting or what other users may do with the information you voluntarily post, so we encourage you to exercise discretion and caution with respect to your personal information. Please note that information that you voluntarily make public in your user profile, or which you disclose by posting stories, comments photos, or any Content will be publicly available and viewable by others. We do not hold any liability for any information that you voluntarily choose to be public through such and/or other explicit actions.
B. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- Display relevant stories and content for you.
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Services or information.
- Communicate with you about related emails, submissions, questions, comments, requests or complaints that may be relevant to you.
- Monitor and analyze usage data and trends, and to better personalize our Service for Ripple News users.
- Investigate and prevent fraud or other illegal activities or content.
- Diagnose and fix problems.
We require an email address when you register to create your users account on Ripple News. We get your email address from the registration method of your choice once you have accepted the authorization to do so. We use your email for both “administrative” and “promotional” purposes. Email messages we send you may contain code that enables our database to track your usage of the e-mails, including whether the e-mail was opened and what links (if any) were clicked. You may opt-out of receiving promotional emails and other promotional communications from us at any time via the opt-out links provided in such communications. However, we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to Ripple News such as service announcements, security alerts, update notices, or other administrative messages without affording you the opportunity to opt out of receiving such communications.
Research: In addition to the uses outlined above, by using Ripple News you agree to allow us to anonymously use the information from you and your experiences to research trends and understand what makes stories spread successfully. This research is intended to improve the Ripple News experience and maybe be published in our site, emails, blogs or promotional materials. All of your responses and specific experiences are kept anonymous.
C. INFORMATION WE COLLECT RELATED TO PROVIDING OUR PRODUCTS AND THEIR FEATURES
When you use Ripple News, we may collect and store information about your mobile device or computer and your activities. This information includes:
- Your mobile device's ID numbers (for iOS 6+ these include ‘Identifier for Vendor’ and ‘Advertiser Identifier’).
- Your mobile device's geographic location while the app is actively running.
- Your computer's IP address if accessing our website.
- Technical information about your computer or mobile device (such as type of device, web browser or operating system) to analyze trends, administer the site, prevent fraud, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information.
- Your preferences and settings (time zone, language, privacy preferences, product preferences, etc.).
- The URL of the last web page you visited before coming to one of our sites.
- The buttons, controls and ads you clicked on (if any).
- Cookies on our website that help us distinguish between repeat visitors and new visitors. They allow us help us save and update your preferences. If your browser is set reject cookies, then Ripple News does not take responsibility for any problems in functionality.
- Web beacons to help us personalize Ripple News, particularly for email communications.
- How long you used Ripple News and which services and features you used.
- The online or offline status of Ripple News on your devices.
D. SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
Service Providers: We may share all of the types of information we collect with vendors who provide services to us (e.g. analytics providers, security and technology providers)
Analytics Companies We allow analytics companies to use tracking technologies to collect information about our users' computers or mobile devices and their online activities. These companies analyze this information to help us understand how our sites and apps are being used. Analytics companies may use mobile device IDs, as described in the paragraph below (“Mobile device IDs”). Unlike cookies, device IDs cannot be deleted.
Mobile device IDs: In order to recognize you, store your preferences, and track your use of our application, we may store your mobile device IDs (the unique identifier assigned to a device by the manufacturer and the advertiser identifier) when you use the Ripple News application. Unlike cookies, device IDs cannot be deleted.
Aggregated Information: We may publicly disclose aggregated information about our users, such as the total number of our users and their overall demographics.
Legal matters: We may disclose any information: in response to a legal request, such as a subpoena, court order, or government demand; to investigate or report illegal activity; or to enforce our rights or defend claims.
E. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
We do not allow persons under 13 to register for any service, and we do not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from persons under the age of 13. We also try to prevent/block users who are encouraging persons under 13. to use the app.
F. SECURING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We endeavor to safeguard personal information to ensure that information is kept private. However, please be aware that unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, the inherent insecurity of the Internet and other factors, may compromise the security of your personal information at any time. As such, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.